Pets and Bug Allergies

file6721279114362Most cats and dogs are curious by nature and love to be outdoors exploring every nook and cranny of their yards.  However, for some pets the outdoors may hold a little more damage than for other pets, because just like humans some pets may have allergies to bug and insect bites or stings.  Unfortunately, there is no way to keep your pet away from areas that have bugs, the same way that you cannot isolate a child from the danger of bees even if they have allergies.

However, you can be aware of the potential dangers and know the proper actions to take in order to prevent your pet from dying or becoming seriously ill after a sting or bite.  As a general rule, there are some bugs that almost all dogs and cats are allergic to such as snakes, bees, and black widow spiders.  It is part of a curious pet’s natural instinct to sniff these creatures or possibly bite at them, but if you know they are present in your yard you should always supervise your pet to prevent them from doing so.

Most people are also not aware of the fact that centipedes and caterpillars are also extremely poisonous and should be avoided by pets at all costs.  Although it is unlikely that your pet will get stung by these bugs, some dogs will attempt to eat them which can cause them to fall ill or if they are older with a health condition possibly die.  Many times a pet may require a visit to a vet for a shot that will counteract the effect of the poison if they ingest such an insect.

Of course, sometimes a pet may get a hold of something they are allergic to without your knowledge.  Signs of poisoning in a pet include lethargy, swelling, excessive drooling, or sunken/red eyes.  If you notice any combination of these symptoms it is important to take your pet to the veterinarian right away.  Most of the time if a pet is treated promptly a few shots are all they will need to remedy the poison, but the longer you wait the more serious the problem will become.

Leave a comment

Your comment