That’s All, Folks!
From the tombstone of Mel LeBlanc,
legendary voice of Porky Pig, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, et al.
The word epitaph, from a Greek term meaning “on the gravestone,” refers to the text inscribed on a tombstone or memorial plaque to honor the deceased. Humorous or sentimental, religious or profane – an epitaph is one sure way of having the last word. In fact, many people choose the wording for their own epitaphs when conveying their wishes for funeral and burial or cremation arrangements.
If you have the poignant honor of creating or choosing an epitaph for a family member, friend, or even a cherished pet, all you need is a little inspiration and imagination. Start by considering the following questions – you may just find the words you’re looking for in your answers.
- How would you describe the deceased?
- How did he impact your life?
- What would you say to her today, if you could?
- What do you want the world to know about him?
Another way to choose an epitaph is to borrow from a classic source, such as the epitaph of a famous person or traditional religious or literary texts.
- Here Rests in Honored Glory an American Soldier Known but to God – Tomb of the Unknown Soldier
- Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime – Dean Martin
- Free at last. Free at last. Thank God Almighty I’m free at last. – Martin Luther King, Jr.
- He made us laugh, and now he can make us think. – John Belushi
- I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter. Winston Churchill
- Love one another as I have loved you. – Mother Teresa
- My Jesus, mercy – Al Capone
- The Best is Yet to Come – Francis Albert Sinatra
Religious and Literary Epitaphs
- Bound for glory
- Come, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11:28
- Dust thou art, to dust returnest, was not spoken of the soul. Longfellow
- Earth hath no sorrow that heaven cannot heal. Moore
- Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord.
- Heaven, the treasury of everlasting joy. Shakespeare
- He hath awakened from the dream of life. Shelley
- Mine eyes have seen the glory . . .
- Morning has broken.
- The acts of this life are the destiny of the next. Eastern proverb
- …There hath pass’d away a glory from the earth. Wordsworth
- Today you will be with me in paradise. Luke 23:43
- We hardly knew ye
- Well done, good and faithful servant. Matthew 25:23
- Where He leads me I can safely go. Millay
- Whither thou goest, I will go. Ruth 1:16
But perhaps you’re looking for something more personal or sentimental; in that case, consider one of the following. Remember, these are merely food for thought – if you don’t find just what you’re looking for, try using these suggestions as prompts to create an original, meaningful sentiment of your own.
- A friend forever
- A friend indeed
- A friend to all who knew him
- Always in our hearts
- Always remembered
- Beloved friend
- Cherished companion
- Cherished friend
- Dearly loved
- Faithful companion
- Forever in our hearts
- Forever in our thoughts
- Forever loved
- Gone but not forgotten
- Gone too soon
- Here lies a kind and gentle woman
- His legacy lives on
- I will never forget you
- In loving memory
- In remembrance
- Love and light
- Loved and remembered
- Loving memories
- Loving memories last forever
- My beloved companion
- My beloved friend
- My faithful friend
- My precious love
- My wonderful companion
- Our baby
- Ours for a short time, with Jesus forever
- Reach for the stars
- Remembered with a smile
- Remembering a tiny angel
- Sleep, little one
- Sleep well, my love
- So small, so sweet, so soon
- Thanks for the memories
- The love of my life
- Too dearly loved to be forgotten
- Treasured memories of
- We will always love you
- We will never forget
- With all our love
- You gave us many happy years
- Your memory will live forever
- Eternal love
- Love will keep us together
- Together forever
- Together on Earth, together in Heaven
Just for Pets
- A loving pet
- A true companion
- Always our Fluffy
- Cherished pet
- Happy trails to you
- My beloved pet
- Our champion
- Our little kitty
- Our wonderful pet
- She brightened our days
- Your paw prints are on our hearts forever